Memory foam mattresses are one of the latest developments in the search for a better night’s sleep. Longer work days, stress, and health problems can all lead to sleep issues. A memory foam mattress can help combat these issues.
What is a Memory Foam Mattress?
Memory mattresses are made from visco-elastic foam. This material holds the shape of the person lying on the mattress to provide solid support without putting pressure on a person’s joints, as many traditional mattresses can do.
- While the mattress does hold the shape of a person while they are lying down, the material is resilient and springs back up quickly.
- They are very durable and never sag from repeatedly bearing a person’s weight.
Memory foam mattresses were actually first developed by NASA in the 1970s. Researchers wanted to create foam to help astronauts stay comfortable during lift-offs. By the 1980s, the foam was being tentatively used to make mattresses.
- In 1991, Tempur-Pedic offered the first line of memory foam mattresses.
- By 1992, the rest of the world was introduced to the mattresses with great.
What are some of the Name Brands of Memory Foam Mattresses?
Tempur-Pedic was the first memory mattress brand, but now there are so many other names offering similar products.
- It is easy to comparison shop between brands or to purchase a new memory mattress from your favourite company.
Many traditional mattress brands now also feature a line of memory mattresses.
Names such as Sealy, Silentnight, Breasley, and Rest Assured all have their own versions of a memory foam mattress.
What are the Features of Memory Mattresses?
Each brand, and even each mattress, may have slightly different features.
- It will be easier to choose a mattress that best fits your needs once you are clear on your list of what you need from a memory foam mattress.
Sealy has an array of memory mattresses that feature either five or seven zones of memory foam to ease pressure on the joints and prevent a lot of movement during sleep.
- Many of the Sealy memory mattresses also feature Tencel on their covers.
- This fibre helps keep the mattress cool and dry.
- It also helps prevent the growth of bacteria.
Silentnight offers a line of micro-quilted foam mattresses that are very low maintenance.
- There is no need to flip the mattress over like many traditional mattresses require.
Breasley is a brand that has been around for thirty years.
- Their line of foam mattresses regulate temperature and are made from breathable materials.
- They are also very easy to clean and require no turning.
- All of the Breasley mattresses come vacuum-packed into a cylinder shape.
- This makes the products much easier to transport.
How are Foam Mattresses Different from Memory Foam?
Foam mattresses are made from materials that are non-allergenic and antibacterial. However, these mattresses are not made of visco-elastic foam. They are often made of Polyurethane, which can be reflexive in a similar way to the visco-elastic models.
- Also, foam mattresses do not have any springs.
- They are considered to be a silent mattress because it is made completely from foam.
Foam mattresses are great for people with asthma, and they also resist bed bugs.
- Available on both medium and firm supports, there is a foam mattress suitable for any person’s needs.