Apparatus used as container in the Laboratory:
- Beaker – this is used to dissolve, mix and heat liquids in large amounts.
- Test Tube – this is used as a reaction vessel for experiments involving small amounts of reactants.
- Flask 200 ml – this is used as a reaction vessel and sometimes as a gas generator and to hold liquid or solutions which are to be heated.
- Volumetric Flask – this is used for diluting and preparing accurate volume of solution.
- Evaporating Dish – this is used to evaporate the liquid from a solution leaving a solid material.
- Watch Glass – this is used for spontaneous evaporation for liquids and as a container for weighing.
- Mortar and Pestle – this is used for grinding solids to a powder form.
- Crucible – this is used for high temperature ignition.
Apparatus used for heating in the Laboratory:
- Bunsen burner – this is used as a source of heat in the laboratory.
- Pipe Stem or Clay Triangle – this is used to support the crucible while heating.
- Wing Top or Fish Tail – this is placed over the barrel of a burner to spread the flame.
- Wire Gauze or Asbestos Pad – this is used to separate beaker and flask from direct heat of the burner.
Apparatus used for holding and holding things in the Laboratory:
- Clamps – this is used to support test tubes, flasks, burets, etc.
- Clamp Holder – this is used to hold clamp in its proper position.
- Funnel – this supports the filter paper and facilitates the introduction of liquid to prevent spilling.
- Iron Ring – this is mounted on an iron stand to support beakers, flasks, etc.
- Iron Stand or Ring Stand – this is used to mount apparatus.
- Test Tube Holder – this is used to hold test tube while heating and when working with corrosive reagents.
- Tripod – this is to support apparatus which does not have to be attached.
- Test Tube Rack – this is used to keep a supply of test tubes for use.
Apparatus used for Measuring in the Laboratory:
- Balance and Weights – this is used to weigh materials in the laboratory.
- Buret – this is a graduated glass tube used in volumetric analysis for measuring definite and accurate amount of liquid.
- Graduated Cylinder – a cylinder closed at one end and calibrated in the Metric system; used to measure the amount of liquid sample, never use it as a reaction vessel.
- Dropper or pipettes – this is used to transfer / measure small amount of liquid samples.
- Spatula – this is used to remove or scoop out solids from the container.
- Thermometer – this is used to measure temperature, in Degree Celsius (0C) or Degree Fahrenheit (0F).