Due to this reason, certain universities will try and categorize its learners from the beginning itself in order to guide them on how should they improve or enhance their own learning style.
Being a kinesthetic learner means that, a student learns well when things are done by themselves. It may include touching, feeling, moving, building…etc although doing kinesthetic activities while studying through one of the other modalities such as through visual or auditory mode may also be part of this modality. Anyhow, kinesthetic or tactile learning would be one of the most primary learning styles when we first enter kindergarten or even before and would gradually be replaced by other forms of learning later on. But, for some, the kinesthetic sensitivities will remain strong and therefore would do well when learned through this learning style.
Therefore, in order to be a good kinesthetic learner, you should first have that knack to learn by doing from the childhood itself. What you should remember is that, you can’t be a kinesthetic learner if you don’t posses that knack and therefore identifying your learning style would play a major role before committing yourself.
Thus, as kinesthetic learners, following measures and actions would be of use to improve the learning.
- Make use of a piece of paper and a pen in taking down notes while listening to a lecture or else draw a map or a diagram in relation to what you learned.
- If the lecturer or the professor agrees, you can go behind the class and walk around without disturbing the class while the teaching is going on with a focused mind on the teaching that is taking place.
- Discuss with your teachers regarding your preference and the ability to learn by doing and formulate approaches which can put the kinesthetic learning processes into good use.
- Be active in any learning task and offer yourself towards demonstrations and other role playing activities to gain more from the learning.
- Find a partner with the same kinesthetic abilities to discuss matters related to the learning activities while engaging in suitable activities which would not hinder assimilation of knowledge and analytic thinking.
- Use a laptop to take down notes as and when appropriate.
- Do not get discouraged by not being able to be kinesthetic all the time as it may not be practical.
Thus, being kinesthetic when it is appropriate would be the best way to deal in such instances.
Although what was mentioned above are some of the measures that can be adapted by a kinesthetic learner, there may be other ways in which he or she will be able to make use of their abilities for learning better.