Oats are fantastic and delicious food for our health and give us relief from many diseases and conditions. They are cereal food grains widely used as foods, basically the seeds of annual grass Avena sativa. Being highly nutritious, oats are considered probably the best food that you can have for breakfast.
Prestigious history of oats
Oats have a prestigious history as people have been opting for oat-meal since the Romans began to cultivate it around 2500 B.C. It became a staple food in most of the pats of Europe. According to Honey and Larry Zisman, in their book ‘The Beat Oatmeal Cookies in the World,’ “all the world is oatmeal” was a popular phrase throughout England in 16th and 17th centuries.
Twelve health benefits of oat-meal
1) Oat-meal can be a good remedy for the modern diet problems because of being high in fat and sugar and low in fiber. Oat-meal can provide you a balanced diet for your optimum health.
2) Oats should be included in healthy diet menu as they contain all essential mineralsand nutrients to keep you healthy and fit. Oats are great sources of manganese, selenium, dietary fiber, Vitamins A, E, and B1 (thiamin), protein, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous.
3) Oatmeal and oat bran are significant sources of dietary fiber inevitable for good health. This fiber is very special as it contains a mixture of about half soluble and half insoluble fibers. Our body needs both soluble and insoluble fibers as they help to maintain a health..
4) Oats fiber is very helpful in waste elimination. Fiber is necessary for bowel movements and prevents constipation. Fiber increases the elimination of waste matter in the large intestine and pressures the rectum muscles to loosen and expel waste.
5) Obesity is the curse of modern lifestyle. Researches of Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, reveal that consumption of whole grains, such as oats, may contribute to favorable metabolic alterations that may reduce long-term weight gain and keep weight under control.
6) Oat meal is good for your heart. It contains an antioxidant substance, called avenanthramide, which is unique to oats that helps to prevent free radical damages of LDL and therefore reduces the chance of cardiovascular diseases. The bad cholesterol, LDL, is trapped without lowering good cholesterol (HDL)
7) Another component of the soluble fiber found in oats is beta-glucan, which is soluble and has proven to be effective in lowering bad cholesterol, LDL, which is trapped without lowering good cholesterol (HDL). This soluble fiber also can reduce the risk of heart diseases.
8) The phytochemicals in oats are thought to reduce your risk of getting cancer. The insoluble fiber content in oats reduces the risk of cancer, especially colon cancer. Selenium, found in oats, is much helpful in reducing the risk of colon cancer
9) Children who take oats meal regularly as their breakfast simply perform better than others in their academic performances. The glucose contained in the oatmeal has been found to boost memory and attention.
10) Oat-meal is a great boon to diabetic patients, especially for Type 2 diabetes patients, since oats are excellent foods to stabilize blood sugar level. It is strongly recommended in India for the diabetic patients as it can withstand their hunger feeling. The American Diabetes Association recommends consuming 20 to 35 grams of dietary fiber daily.
11) Another important health benefit of oat-meal is it low glycemic index rating and its slow burn. This means that you have a fullness feeling for a longer period of time. That is why it is very useful to the diabetic patients.
12) You may be surprised to know that oat-meal has an old and deserved reputation as an effective and economical beauty aid. That is why oats are added in many skin care products.
Oat-meal is delicious to your taste. Oats are great health foods for overall health for young and old. It is a great idea to start the day with oatmeal a day to keep your body healthy and fit.