Advertising is a form of communication that is meant to drive customers to purchase or consume the goods/brand that is being sold. This is an enhanced form of marketing which convinces the customers and public that the brand they are selling are actually better then the others in competition. Every business organization has an Advertising agency or department that caters to the entire public and effectively promotes the benefits and usage of the product.
An Advertising Company in India mainly focuses on getting the best business for its clients via aggressive promotions, targeting the masses and classes alike. An ad agency is independent from the client and provides an outside point of view to the effort of selling the client’s products or services. The range of an Advertising Agency varies from all shapes and sizes right from small to medium sized agencies, large independents, and multi-national agencies, basically depending on the kind of ventures undertaken and the client reputations. The kind of advertisements that is done also varies as per the need and budget of the product or service to be marketed. It could be in the form of commercial advertisements, Internet /online promotion or classified advertisements in newspapers.
Full-service or media-advertising companies basically target the television audience by promoting the product through commercial advertisements. May be they would get in a top celebrity or a famous personality to endorse the product. Online advertising is basically done via the internet and is basically handled by Digital Interactive Marketing firms through their Search Marketing Departments. A development team creates the website of the client, the creative or designing team and then the marketing team promotes it online. Then you have people promoting their advertisements via newspapers. This is considered to be one of the most cost effective ways to promote your business, the reason being this has the largest coverage in terms of reaching out to the masses. Infact if any company is looking to promote a business effectively the suggestion would be, first get your advertisement on paper, then get the commercial advertisement going and then promote it online. The campaign is bound to be highly successful.
Like any other organization an Advertising agency works in a Team Format basis. The people who create the actual ads form the core of an advertising agency. Next comes the account management department. Account management is somewhat the sales arm of the advertising agency. They are then responsible for coordinating the creative, media, and production staff behind the campaign. Next comes in the creative services team or the production team. This department consists of those employees who are responsible for coordinating the creative, media, and production staff behind the campaign. An often forgotten, but still very important, department within an advertising agency is traffic. The traffic department regulates the flow of work in the agency. It is typically headed by a traffic manager (or system administrator). Traffic increases an agency’s efficiency and profitability through the reduction of false job starts, inappropriate job initiation, incomplete information sharing, over-and under-cost estimation, and the need for media extensions. Some of the Biggest Commercial advertising companies in India include Mudra Communication, Pressman India, Thomson Associates, Lintas, and Percept Holdings. They have the best of clients with excellent reputation attached to them.
Advertising, direct marketing and trade promotion
- English-language advertising in India is among the most creative in the world. TV advertising (especially in the Hindi language) has made major headway in the past 10 years, especially with the advent of satellite TV. Hindi TV channels – such as ZEE and Sony TV – have fashioned themselves on lines of Western channels, and most advertising on such channels is glitzy, smart and tailored for the middle classes. Such channels have forced the state-owned channel, Doordarshan, to add spice to their programmes which, earlier, were quite drab. The importance of the Hindi-speaking market (which is also fluent in English) is borne out from the fact that STAR TV, once an all-English channel, is now rich in Hindi programmes. Even the British Broadcasting Corporation is reportedly toying with the idea of airing Hindi programmes.
- Most major international advertising firms have chosen local Indian partners for their work in this market. Mumbai (formerly Bombay) remains the centre of the advertising business in India.
- India has a diverse and growing number of daily newspapers. Since 1991, the increase of business and financial news reports in English-language and vernacular dailies has paralleled the economic reform programme and the movements of the stock markets. Most leading publications have their circulation audited by the Audit Bureau of Circulation which has an India-dedicated office in Mumbai (formerly Bombay).
- Leading business newspapers include Business Standard and Economic Times. Magazines include India Today, Business India , Business Today, and Business World.
- In addition to advertising, other kinds of trade promotion activities are also well-developed in India. A large of exhibitions are held all over India, the most prominent ones at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi. Conferences and seminars are also widespread.
The mail service in India is slow though generally reliable. Telephone service is poor, but rapidly improving.
While private courier services are growing strongly and the telecommunications sector is opening up for a range of modern services, until goods can be ordered conveniently and delivered with certainty, direct marketing will be limited to door-to-door sales. An inefficient state-owned banking system also prevents prompt transfers of funds from consumers to retailers. Credit card companies are increasingly targeting India’s one million cardholders through directly-mailed offers of goods and services.