After you tell SCR that you want to start a report As a Blank Report, you then select the database containing the information on which you want to report. To begin designing a Custom report:
1. Click New on the toolbar or choose File, New. The Report Gallery opens.
2. Click As a Blank Report from the Report Gallery dialog box and then click OK. This opens the Data Explorer dialog box.
3. In the Data Explorer, you might have Database File Sources selected, and the xtreine.mdb database file open if you just used it to follow along and design a report with the Standard Report Expert in the last section. If not, follow these steps: Double-click Database Files, which displays Find Database File. Click Find Database File arid then click Add. This launches tin. Open dialog box where you can find extreme, the sample database, mi the Databases directory. If this directory does not come up by default, you can find it under C.V Program Files/Seagate Software/ Crystal Reports/Samples/Databases. Select the name of the’ database and then click Open. The database shows in the Data Explorer under File Data Sources.
4. Click the tables that you want to use in your report, in this case Customer and Orders. Click Add to add the tables to your report one at a time, or use the Windows controls of Shift and Ctrl to se1 more than one table at a time. Once you have!>optic tables selected, click Crocs.
5. Now the Crystal Report Design tab opens with the Visual Linking Expert dialog box open. The tables will be linked because SCR performed Smart Linking and linked the tables for you. Click OK to close the Visual Linking Expert. The Field Explorer is left open on the Design tab.