Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are one of the most common infections that can plaque women. Symptoms of UTI, as outlined in Dr. Earl Mindell’s Secrets Of Natural Health (Keats Publishing, 2000) can be : burning or cramping sensation in the lower abdomen or behind the pelvic bone ; burning pain on urination ; urgency or the feeling of a strong need to urinate ; foul – smelling urine. Here’s some of Dr. Earl Mindell’s natural herbal diuretics that can help encourage the flow of fluids that cleanses the urinary tract.
· Uva – Ursi (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi)
· This is an honored old folk remedy for UTIs. It acts as a diuretic, antibacterial agent, and astringent. A tea is the most recommended way to take it. Caution : Do not take more than the recommended dose, as it can be toxic at high doses.
· Parsley (Petroselinum sativum)
· This herb is also a diuretic and it contains nourishing chlorophyll and minerals that are healing to the urinary tract. It also happens to be good for digestion and is a wonderful breath freshener. Caution : Do not drink parsley tea if you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant.
· Garlic is a potent antibacterial agent. Eat raw garlic in your salad, use it in cooking, or if
· You don’t like the odor, take the odorless capsules.
· Cranberry Juice
· Scientists have discovered that a substance in the cranberry prevents bacteria from clinging to the wall of the uretha, allowing them to be washed out during urination. Caution : Don’t buy cranberry juice heavily sweetened with sugars, which will negate any good the cranberry is doing. Either mix it with the smallest possible amount of a sweeter juice, such as grape juice, or water it down enough so that you can drink it unsweetened. Drink at least two 8-ounce glasses a day, Dr. Mindell suggested.