Every one knows that diet and exercise together helps in losing weight. But we often starve ourselves to death trying to keep a few inches off our waistline. Instead of helping us lose weight, starvation encourages fat build up by slowing down our metabolism, so we need low fat foods. Instead of beating the urge to eat, you can use it to your advantage by eating fat fighting foods. Here are some foods that might increase your fat fighting ability:
· Almonds (badam): According to study published in the International Journal of Obesity, dieters who ate 85 gm (around 3 ounces) of almonds everyday reduced their weight and body-mass index (BMI) by 18 percent compared with an 11 percent reduction in the non-almond dieters. These nuts are high in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which can accelerate your metabolism of fats. Also, almonds have high fiber content, protein and the good type of fat which satisfies your appetite very soon therefore you are less likely to have cravings and overeat. Eat a handful (not more than 12) everyday to get the benefits from these low fat foods.
· Citrus fruits like berries, oranges, etc: According to a research done at Arizona State University, people who consume adequate quantities of vitamin C loaded fresh fruits like oranges, strawberries, raspberries, etc can oxidize 30% more fat while doing normal exercises than individuals with an inadequate quantity of Vitamin C consumption. Researchers found that the quantity of vitamin C in the blood stream bears a direct correspondence to the body’s capacity to burn fat as a source of energy. It is used in the body to make carnitine – a substance that helps our cells burn fat for energy. When vitamin C is lacking, carnitine cannot do its job. The research establishes that consuming insufficient quantities of vitamin C can hamper any efforts of weight loss.
· Eggs: Eggs are packed with a variety of nutrients including protein, zinc, iron and vitamins A, D, E and B12, but contain just 85 calories each. Eating eggs for breakfast makes you feel fuller for longer so that you eat less at your next few meals and key of low fat foods.
· Fish: Fish not only keeps your heart healthy, but they shrink your waist, too. Omega-3 fatty acids improve insulin sensitivity which helps build muscle and decrease belly fat. More the muscle better is the fat burning capacity of ones body.
· Soybean: Soybeans contain lecithin, which help your cells not to accumulate fat. It will also break down fatty deposits in your body. Soy-derived lecithin also lowers cholesterol and triglycerides, and increases HDL (“good cholesterol”).
· Tomatoes – daily best low fat foods: Tomatoes contain oligofructose, a fiber that helps sustain the effects of Cholecystokinin (CCK) in your stomach. CCK is the hormone released by the small intestine in response to the presence of fats and helps boost the feelings of fullness by tightening the valve between your stomach and your intestine. This makes you less apt to overeat. Tomatoes are also packed with vitamin C which helps in the production of carnitine. Research has shown that carnitine can help speed the body’s fat-burning capacity by up to one-third.
· Pomegranate (anar): Pomegranate seeds are loaded with folate and disease-fighting antioxidants. They’re low in calories and high in fiber, so they satisfy your sweet tooth without blowing your diet.
· Cinnamon (dalchini): According to researchers at the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), consuming a quarter to one teaspoon of cinnamon a day with food can help metabolize sugar up to twenty times better than food not eaten with cinnamon. This results in less sugar in your bloodstream which means less fat stored.You can make a cinnamon tea or add it to orange juice, oatmeal, salads, etc. The active components are not destroyed by heat.
· Lentils: Lentils are a bona fide belly flattener. They are high in protein and soluble fiber, two nutrients that stabilize blood sugar levels and being one of the best low fat foods.
· Yogurt: Eating calcium-rich fat-free yogurt can boost your body’s fat-burning mechanism, speed weight loss and trim your tummy. A study done at University of Tennessee found that obese adults who ate 3 servings of fat-free yogurt a day as part of a reduced calorie diet lost 22% more weight, 61% more body fat and 81% more stomach fat than those who followed the low calorie diet without the yogurt. According to the researchers, meeting our daily calcium needs helps us burn fat more efficiently whereas not getting enough calcium triggers the release of calcitriol, a hormone that causes us to store fat.
My other articles :