1 package yellow cake mix
½ cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 11-ounce can mandarin orange slices, including liquid
- Grease and lightly flour two 8 0o 9-inch cake pans.
- Blend together all cake ingredients in mixing bowl with electric beater for 30 seconds at slow speed and then for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Divide batter evenly into two prepared cake pans.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350° F for approximately 28 to 32 minutes.
- Test with cake tester for doneness.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan, cover and cool completely.
1 large container Cool Whip
1 small package vanilla Jell-O Instant pudding
1 large can crushed pineapple, including liquid
- Mix Cool Whip, instant pudding and entire contents of can of crushed pineapple together until well blended. Set aside in refrigerator.
- With a thin sharp knife, slice each cake layer into two layers, resulting in four cake layers.
- Place first layer of cake on serving plate and spread with approximately ¼ of the icing mixture. Repeat with each of the next two layers.
- Place last layer of cake on top and finish with the remaining frosting. You needn’t be too precise; this cake looks even more delectable with the icing peeking out and spilling down the sides a bit.
- Garnish as desired. (Reserve a few orange slices and place them with some greens on top; then add a little coconut to the top or to each layer, if you really love coconut; and/or arrange some lemon leaves around the base of the cake.)