There comes a time in every company’s life when they decide to change their website. Most of the time, their reasons will be because they want a new look, or they need to change or edit the content because it has become out-dated. Rarely, does a web design company hear a business say they would like to change their website to make it more SEO- or user-friendly.
SEO and a user-friendly experience are related, despite what many businesses think. After all, search engines such as Google and Bing will rank a site based on the quality of the website, and that includes how easy it is for a user to do what they need to do. Fortunately, there are some mistakes a business or the web design company it has hired can avoid when redesigning a website.
· Keywords. It is important to know your keywords when you are redesigning a website and there are many great tools out there for this (Ad Words, Word tracker, etc.). This is also a good way of checking out your conversion rate.
· Competition. Now that you know which keywords are important to your website, it’s time to check out your competition. You might want to perform your own Google search for your keywords and see which websites come up in the top ten. If you are a small shoe company in a small town, you probably aren’t going to be able to compete with the big brands that take up the top spot when you search for “shoes.” This will help you sort out which keywords and phrases you should cater to.
· Architecture. Your website needs to look nice and be search engine friendly at the same time. The way you put the two together is very important.
· Review. Before you or a website design company makes any big changes to your website, go ahead and get an analysis of what your website has already been doing. If a certain part of your website is already ranking well and you are about to delete it altogether, you might want to rethink your plans.
· URL. If possible, do not change your URL, even just a little. If you have to, make sure you redirect the old pages to the new pages.
One more thing to remember involves your staging website if you even have one. Often, a website design company will create a staging version of your website, sort of like a rough draft. This needs to be protected by requiring a password to view it. If a search engine picks up on your staging site, it can end up being a part of the cyber world and you do not want this mistake to happen. It can be a huge headache for a business owner and it is really hard to fix.