Cold winter winds and hot, dry indoor heating can cause irritating dry skin for most people and aggravate eczema or psoriasis for those who already suffer from skin problems. But you can avoid the worst and have softer skin all winter long by starting a basic winter skin care routine now. Here are some proven tips that you can try for yourself :
1. Hydrate! It’s easy to get dehydrated in the winter. Even just mild dehydration will drain your energy making the holidays that much harder. Great skin starts from the inside with plenty of good clean water (not sodas)! Water is not only good for the skin but also good for the body as water makes up about 60% of your body. An easy way to cut soda out of your diet is to replace it with natural herbal tea’s it is recommended that you consume eight ounces of water each day.
2. Strengthen your skins natural defenses with a good quality shielding lotion. Look for one that is non-greasy and contains Aloe Vera and Chamomile — natural ingredients that both soothe and soften skin. A shielding lotion will help your skin retain its natural oils and moisture. The best shielding lotion you can find is one that not only features natural ingredients but also is dermatologist recommended.
3. Use a sunscreen with at least an SPF of 15. Winter sun can be just as damaging as summer sun, especially when exposure is doubled by reflections from the snow. Good UV protection is vital to long-term skin health. Making sun protection a part of your daily skin care routine no matter what the season can help prevent premature aging and wrinkles.
4. Exfoliate to remove old skin. By exfoliating you can improve the quality and tone of your skin by removing the old skin cells. Here’s an inexpensive natural recipe that gently removes dry dead skin cells to reveal soft, glowing skin. In a re-sealable container simply mix one cup of sugar with enough extra virgin olive oil to make a paste. Gently scrub your face and rinse with clean water.
5. Use a moisturizing mask to soften your skin. The best are natural and chemical-free. Here’s a great skin treatment you can make for yourself featuring avocado. Avocados have the skin care benefits of being vitamin and nutrient rich containing vitamins A, C, E iron, potassium and many other nutrients that promote healthy glowing skin. .
Avocado Moisturizing Mask Skin Care Treatment
In a small bowl mix together the following ingredients together into a paste.
– Half of an avocado mashed into a paste
– 1 tbsp. sea salt
– 1 squeeze of honey
– 1 squeeze Fresh lemon juice
Apply to face for 10 to 15 minutes then wash off with warm water.
Following this basic skin care routine will help your skin look and feel it’s best through the colder fall and winter months and shield you from the worst of winter dry skin problems. Now you just have to watch out for all those extra cookies, cakes and pies!