Asthma is a respiratory disorder that should not be taken lightly. Ignoring it can result to life-threatening lung or heart diseases. Constriction of the air passage will put a lot of pressure to the heart to pump harder. This can dangerously result to heart enlargement. Commonly, doctors prescribe the use of steroid to cure this disease. However, unknown to many the use of steroid leaves asthma patients with negative side effects. For cheaper, safer and effective cure, people can use home remedies for asthma.
Triggers of Asthma
Asthma is triggered by several factors. An asthmatic person must determine what these triggers are and avoid them to prevent an attack. The following are known triggers of asthma and therefore must be avoided:
- Eating Bananas
- Cold drinks and refrigerated foods
- Cold weather
- Stress and strains
- Staying awake late at night
All the abovementioned asthma triggers are known to aid in the constriction of bronchial tubes thus limiting the airflow in the respiratory tract.
Natural Home Remedies for Asthma
- Lukewarm water is proven to prevent bronchial tube constriction. Drinking plenty of lukewarm water is highly recommended for asthma patients. Immersing the feet of the patient in a basin of lukewarm water may also help relieve symptoms and discomforts brought about by an asthma attack.
- Eat plenty of food rich in fiber to prevent constipation which is also a known trigger of asthma.
- Inhaling hot steam helps counter bronchial tube constriction. A patient can boil water, put in a bowl and inhale the hot steam. A patient can use a towel to catch the steam from the bowl. Another way of inhaling hot steam is by turning on the hot shower until the bathroom is filled with steam.
- Licorice root tea is also an effective home remedy for asthma. In a cup of hot water put half a teaspoon of the licorice root. Let it cool, strain and drink.
- Look for a place where the air is cold. Take slow deep breaths to clear the air passage.
- Boil cranberries in a pot of water. Using a clay pot is recommended. Mash the cooked cranberries. Take three teaspoons daily to prevent an attack.
Home remedies for asthma are highly recommended. These cures are simple and easy to prepare. Moreover, these home remedies are cheaper yet effective.