Immigrating to Australia on a Student Visa

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Immigrating to Australia on a Student Visa

Studying abroad is a fantastic opportunity for anyone. Not only do you get the chance to study what you love, but you are able to immerse yourself in another culture and acquire memories that will last you for a lifetime.

Australia is one of the most popular countries for university-level students, no matter how young or old they are. Not only does Australia have a fantastic educational system, but can boast brilliant weather, diverse geography, great beaches, restaurants, bars and a relaxed way of life and atmosphere.

Studying in Australia means that you will need a student visa. The first thing you need to do is to find a university or career and vocational training centre which offers a full-time course that you wish to apply for. Then that university or training centre will need to accept you on a full-time registered course to be eligible for a student visa.

A registered course is a programme which is presented by a university or training centre that is officially registered on the CRICOS (the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students).

Types of Visa:

There are a number of student visa sub-classes available on the student visa depending on the course you are registered for and other factors. These include:

Subclass 570 – English language intensive courses for overseas students (ELICOS). This visa is for international students who are enrolled on an English course that does not result in a formal Australian reward and resulting in a certificate I, II, III or IV.

Subclass 571 – Primary or secondary school course. This visa is designed for international students at a primary or secondary school level, or for those on a secondary exchange programme approved by the Australian government.

Subclass 572 –Vocational education and training. This visa is for international students enrolled on a trade programme which results in a certificate I, II, III and IV (excluding ELICOS), a diploma, an advance diploma, a vocational graduate certificate or a vocational graduate diploma.

Subclass 573 – Higher education. This is the visa for international students studying at university resulting in the award of a Bachelor degree, associate degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma or a Masters degree.

Subclass 574– Postgraduate research – This visa is offered to international students who are registered on a Masters degree by research course or studying a Doctoral degree.

Subclass 580– Student guardians – This visa is for the guardians of international students who are under the age of 18. This visa is also applicable for international students who may need a guardian whilst studying due to religious, cultural, medical or other reasons.


To be eligible for a student visa of any sub-class you must meet the criterion that is set by the Australian government. Other factors may include the passport you hold. You will need to show that you have the finances to cover the course fees, living expenses for yourself (and any spouse or children travelling with you), travel costs etc. For students under the age of 18, you will need to parental permission and accommodation planning.


About Author

Leave A Reply