Thinking of getting a new electric toothbrush? If so, this is the article you definitely need to read. It can be difficult knowing which electric toothbrush to get these days, because there are so many different toothbrushes out there. That’s where this article comes in.
The Benefits of Using a Power Toothbrush
As any dentist will tell you, manual toothbrushes don’t clean teeth anywhere near as thoroughly as electric toothbrushes do. It’s obvious that the reason for this is because the electric motor can move a lot faster than your hand can. Another reason they are better at cleaning is because the small rotating brush heads are able to get deeper into diffult to reach areas. Electric toothbrushes are also great for people who have health issues which restrict their movement, for example arthritis.
Features of a Good Electric Toothbrush
- Detachable Brush Heads: Some cheaper electric toothbrushes are intended to be disposable and therefore do not come with replaceable brush heads. You definitely want to go for a toothbrush that has replaceable brush heads, because this means you will be able to use the toothbrushes for a very long time. It’s also worth checking the availability of these particular toothbrush heads in the main shops. Also check the price of the brush heads. There’s no point getting a great bargain on the main toothbrush, to then have to spend a lot of money on replacement brush heads.
- Rechargeable: Rechargeable toothbrushes are great because it means you don’t have to buy any batteries for them. Just charge it up regularly and you’re good to go.
- Timer: The recommended time for cleaning your teeth is 2 minutes. A lot of toothbrushes now have a timer which will tell you when you have brushed for 2 minutes.
- Good Brush Head Design: A good toothbrush should have a well-designed brush head, allowing for thorough cleaning of all areas of your teeth and gums.
- Strong: Some electric toothbrushes (usually the cheaper ones) sometimes stop working after a few months. Try to find one which is known for being durable. Be sure to check customer reviews to make sure nobody has had a bad experience with a particular toothbrush.
The Major Power Toothbrush Brands and their Range of Products
- Oral B: $2-$200. Main electric toothbrush manufacturer, offering a wide range of products at different prices. 89 products available.
- Braun: $12-$100. Another good toothbrush brand, with a good range of different products. 34 products in total.
- Philips Sonicare: $17-$450. Another top brand, with a good number of toothbrushes across a wide range. 25 products available.
- Sonicare: $35-$200. Also good, with a good number of toothbrushes across a wide range. 24 products available.
- Crest: $5-$16. Cheap brand. 24 products available.
- Tooth Tunes: $7-$36. Childrens toothbrushes made in a fun style. 13 products available.
- Cybersonic: $49-$80. Not a big product range. Only 11 products available.
- Colgate: $2-$15. Only a few toothbrushes in this range.