Do We teach our Children the Importance of Energy Conservation?
Do you remember the kids alphabet book? Still today, it is, “E” for Elephant or “E” for Egg. The advancement in technology in this era is phenomenal. But, we do not print “E” for Energy in children book. If we do that, our children will ask, what is energy? And then we can explain to our children just how important conserving energy is.
Till date our major source of energy is fossil fuels and if we do not switch to non-conventional source, we will not be able to save our dear Earth from pollution.
Energy conservation should be a habit. We are teaching our children, brush your teeth in the morning, clean your hands by soap before you eat, walk with shoes on etc. in an informal way, and good hygienic habits are easily formed. In a similar way, we have to teach them the importance of energy conservation. How to do this?
We will examine some simple ways to teach this subject to our children.
1. Teach them the fundamentals of energy conservation. To conserve energy, we have to use energy efficiently, reduce consumption and use non-conventional / renewable source of energy.
2. Every child learns to sketch by drawing a House. Let them draw a House with Solar Cells on the roof top, not the conventional straw roof. They will learn the importance of using solar energy. Let us print “S” for Solar Energy in their book.
3. Let them learn to live more and more in natural daylight. Let us modify our Home to have natural daylight and restrict use of electricity during daytime.
4. It is important to teach them that a ten watt LED Lamp is equivalent to 15 watts of Compact Fluorescent Lamp and 60 Watts of conventional incandescent lamp. Let us present them LED Table Lamps, Torches etc. and explain that LED Lamps does not contain Toxic mercury and emits much less harmful carbon dioxide. Let us print ‘L’ for LED in children book.
5. We have to make them understand that coal, petroleum, cooking gas all are fossil fuels and their source is our dear Earth and we will not be able to increase the source.
We have to re-write children book to include advancement of technology in energy conservation techniques. What for Science has developed so much, if we cannot transfer this knowledge to our own children.
It is time to think and change our methods to teach children. Let’s start today.