Modern lifestyle and food habits have affected the colon, the part of the digestive system where the waste material is stored, causing more and more health hazards. Tumors of the colon and rectum are growths arising from the inner wall of the large intestine and benign tumors of the large intestine are called polyps.
Causes of colon cancer
1) Modern fast foods and diets high in fat are believed to predispose humans to colorectal cancer.
2) Ulcerative colitis, caused mostly by food habits, highly increases the risk for colon cancer.
3) Genetic factors are also an important risk factor in causing colon cancer.
4) General weakness, anemia, change in bowel habits, narrow stools, diarrhea or constipation, etc. lead to this dangerous problem.
Seven special features of colonoscopy to beat colon cancer
1) Although surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy are the standard line of treatments for this condition, colonoscopy at an early stage can control it easily.
2) Colonoscopy involves inserting a flexible tube into the rectum. A camera fixed at the tip of the tube helps the physician identify small cell clumps in the colon that can turn cancerous in due course.
3) During this colonoscopy treatment, the physician can do a biopsy and find out the condition of the disease.
4) This biopsy helps the physician to remove the abnormal cells from the colon.
5) American Journal of Gastroenterology reveals that colonoscopy treatment is effective in reducing colon cancer. A Canadian study that followed 2,412,077 people aged 50 to 90 says about the success of this treatment.
6) Use of colonoscopy is on the increase nowadays reducing considerably the risk of dying from colon cancer. Researches show that every one percent increase in complete colonoscopy use reduced three percent risk of death.
7) Colonoscopy reduces the risk of death as a result of removing abnormal cells before they became cancerous. Or even if they are already there, this treatment will remove the cancer cells before they become aggressive.