There are many reasons why some women prefer to do their bikini waxes at home. For some, it is a modesty issue. For others, it is more economical than going to the local spa or salon. Regardless of the reason, there are a few things a woman should take into consideration before attempting to perform this service on herself, as well as a few tips and tricks that will result in a less painful experience.
1. Not all waxes are created equally. Depilatory waxes come in many varieties. Soft waxes, which are usually generally used for larger areas of the body, require the use of a waxing strip usually made from paper or muslin. Hard waxes do not require waxing strips; they are applied directly to the skin where the wax hardens as it cools. The wax is then pulled off. The type of wax you use will depend on two factors: the sensitivity of your skin and the coarseness of the hair being removed.
2. Trim before waxing. It is much easier to wax shorter hair than longer hair, so if your bikini area is in need of grooming, it would be a good idea to do this with scissors before applying the wax.
3. Draw the line. It is sometimes helpful to use an eyebrow pencil to outline the area where you want the hair to be removed. This will help ensure evenness and symmetry. Of course, if you plan on removing all traces of hair from down there, this step isn’t necessary.
4. Work in small sections. Your natural urge is to get the waxing over with as soon as possible, and this causes most people to apply wax in large sections. When this happens it is often difficult to remove all of the hair, so you will have to re-wax the area again in order to get all of the “stragglers”. This will lead to irritation. Never wax over the same area twice.
5. Stretch the skin. The tighter you pull the skin, the less it will hurt when you rip off the wax.
6. Always apply the wax in the direction of the hair’s growth, and always remove in the opposite direction. This can be difficult when working in the bikini area since the hair may be growing in several different directions. This is another reason why you will want to work in small sections.
7. Apply pressure to the skin immediately after you pull off the wax. This helps to quell the sensation of pain.
8. Remove any excess wax from the skin by using baby oil or mineral oil.
By following these guidelines, you will soon be able to wax like a professional!