This article is about recipe tamarind rice.
This yummy dish can be packed in Tiffin box and used even a couple of days later!
Just right for along train journey!
Ingredients required to cook :
- One cup fine rice
- 1/4 cup Bengal gram
- One lemon sized ball of tamarind
- Four curry leaves
- Four tablespoon oil
- Two tablespoon black gram
- 1/2 tespoon mustard
- Two red chilies (broken into half)
- Two green chilies (slit)
- 1/4 tespoon turmeric powder
- Four tbsp sesame seeds (roasted and powdered)
- A small piece of ginger, cut into fine pieces
- A pinch of asafoetida salt to taste
- One tbsp cashews/peanuts (Optional)
Method or Steps for preparation:
Wash the rice and Bengal gram together and cook adding enough water.
Soak the tamarind enough water and extract half a cup of the pulp.
Boll the tamarind juice till semi-thick.
Pour the cooked rice into a big bowl; add the turmeric powder, Two tespoon oil, salt, tamarind pulp and two twigs of curry leaves to the piping hot rice. Heat the rest of the oil in a pan. Add the black gram, mustard seeds, cashew nuts and peanuts. When they turn golden, add the red chilies, ginger, curry leaves, green chilies and asafoetida. Remove from heat and add it to the rice. Mix thoroughly; adding sesame powder and leave it covered for an hour to allow the rice to absorb the Ingredients.