Weight Loss seems to always be on the minds our generation, with the ever shrinking waist of celebrities, we feel more and more concerned with the few extra pounds we hold. To keep slim and fit, maintaining a healthy weight by eating sensibly without depriving ourselves is a secret we would all like to know. Well this article provides you with great tips in order to lose those pounds and to create a more confident you.
First off, stop buying celebrity magazines and comparing yourself to the airbrushed and computerised images of these seemingly perfect beings, as these images are false and are not a true representation of their real bodies. Concentrate on your own body not theirs.
Right, whether you want to shed a few stone or a few pounds follow these 7 easy steps:
1. Calculate your daily calorie intake to maintain your current weight by using the following formulae:
655 + (4.3 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) – (4.7 x age in years) = A
Now, multiply result A by 0.2 if you are not very active at all
by 0.3 if you are lightly active
by 0.4 if you are quite active ( if you exercise raising your heartbeat at least 3
times a week).
by 0.5 if you are extremely active (exercise almost everyday)
This obtains result B.
Daily calorie intake to maintain your current weight(C) = A+B
Subtract 500kcals from result C and this is the daily intake of calories that you should consume in order to lose 1 to 2lbs a week, depending on your initial weight.
2. Don’t reduce your calorie intake to less than 1000kcal as this will slow down your metabolism so much, that eventually when you want to come off the diet you will put all the weight that you have just lost back on, as your metabolism will be working too slowly to burn sufficient calories.
3. Be active. Whether it’s running, swimming, or merely walking, ensure you are active every day. Instead of taking the car down the road, walk it! A short 20 minute walk everyday will make a huge difference to the speed of your weight loss and further help tone your legs and bottom.
A further fact is that after you have finished exercising, where your heartbeat has been raised, the speed at which you burn calories is increased by as much as 15% to 20% even when you have stopped exercising.
4. Keep with a balanced diet and eat in the proportions of the pie chart below. Remember to keep to the calorie intake you have calculated:
5. Allow yourself a small treat everyday. Whether it be a square of chocolate or a bag of low fat, low calorie crisps, ensure you do not deprive yourself EVER otherwise you will end up binging, which will undo your hard work of the previous day.
6. Try to eat something every 4 hours. Every time you consume something your metabolism gets a boost and therefore burns more calories faster, so try to indulge in healthy snacks throughout the day. For example: Apples, Crackers, Prawns, Carrots etc.
7. Foods you should add/increase in your diet which will boost your metabolism include:
- Water (drink at least 2 litres a day)
- Green Tea
- Broccoli (Is also a negative calorie food)
- Lean Turkey (And high in the essential protein to help build muscule which in turn boosts metabolism)
- Oatmeal (And a great source of sustained energy)
- Chilli Peppers (My favourite!)
There you have it, you are ready to go and start your weight loss programme with no strict rules that other fad diets instruct. This weight loss advice will ensure that you lose weight in a healthy and rewarding way that will stay off.
Just make sure that when you do start losing weight, recalculate your “calorie intake to maintain your weight (C)” and subtract again 500kcal fromyour new(C) value,and carry on with the diet at your new lower weight.
You will soon find that your confidence will start to grow, the healthier and more energised you become by living this healthier lifestyle and feeling and looking beautiful. Good Luck!