The lips are the key to a great look. Forget about smoky eyes and long lashes and blush; the lips are definitely the centerpiece of a woman’s look. Sadly, most women’s lip routines consist of smearing on some cheap red lipstick. While there are some women blessed with perfectly pouty lips, most women need a little help achieving lips to die for. If a perfect pout is your passion, here are a few pointers.
1. Before you even think about makeup, make sure that your lips are healthy. The best makeup artist in the world can’t help you if your lips are dry, chapped, and cracked. There are dozens of lip-care products on the market, everything from moisturizers to lip exfoliators. The first step towards perfect lips is to have healthy lips.
2. Before applying lipstick or lip gloss, blot your lips with blotting paper or a tissue in order to remove excess oils and saliva. Your lipstick will go on much smoother.
3. A common complaint women have is that their lipstick goes on too sheer. If you want a deeper and richer color result, try applying a mineral-based liquid foundation to the lips before applying lipstick. Not only will this provide better coverage, but it will also provide a “truer” color. In other words, the color on your lips will look just like the color in the tube.
4. If you’re going to outline your lips with a pencil before applying lipstick, choose a lip liner that is the same shade or a shade lighter than the lipstick. Don’t line your lips with a darker color, or you’ll end up looking like a guest on the Ricki Lake show circa 1994. You want your lips to look classy and elegant, not “ghetto”!
5. Lipstick or lip gloss? Why not both? When I apply makeup to a client, one of my favorite looks is to layer a lighter shade of lip gloss over a darker shade of lipstick. If you try this, you will discover some interesting and unique color combinations. You will also discover that this “double coverage” technique will result in lips that look extremely full, luscious, and pouty.
When it comes to makeup, there is an old adage that states less is more. However, this is not true when it comes to unforgettable lips. Be bold, be creative, and don’t be afraid to be daring. The most unforgettable lips in history were bold and daring. When it comes to lips, more is more!