Marina is the term referred to a boat basin where you will found moorings, supplies, docks and other facilities for small boats. Regular or irregular boaters always look for marinas that have maximum numbers of facilities at their offerings. There are few basic requirements that a marina should have. Like:
- Offering petrol and diesel that should be available in the fuel barge
- There should be berths that are dedicated to regular visitors
- Water, electricity and refueling should readily available
- There should be few basic amenities available there like free showers, toilets and coin operated launderette and others
- Good marinas give 24 hour access to the other marinas as well
- There are facilities where you can repair your afloat
- The place can have the power to hoist and wash off services for boats. Good marinas can give place to a boat of as big as 40 ton.
- They should have dedicated parking
- Physically disable people should have access to amenity block and they should also be provided with wheelchair and other accessories.
- Marinas should also have excellent public transport links as well.
Apart from these basic facilities, some advance marinas also have various other advance facilities. And those are:
- Recycling facilities
- Refuse disposal
- Tourist / visitor information
- Boat yards and servicing
- Bus station
- Ferry terminal
- Maritime Museum
- Hard standing
- Travel hoist
- drying out pad / blocks
- pump-out station
This is specially to be mentioned that marinas are specially for recreational boating. In simple words these are harbors with wharfs that allow you to keep your boats and yachts. A moderate marina can give place to hundreds of boats at a time and carries people who can serve all of them at the same time. This is thus a well organized commercial place. Sometimes governed by governments and most of the time they are run by private companies.
The Author is working for a long time on outdoor and recreational activities like Fishing, Boating, Camping, Hiking, Climbing & others.