There seems to come a point when men with a large waistline give up hope and stop trying to look fashionable and stylish. However, with a little know-how, it is still possible to be a guy with a large waistline to look in style. Here are a few tips that will help.
1. Never, ever, ever wear pleated pants. The only men who should wear pleated-front pants are 110-pound Brazilian mambo instructors and door-to-door Bible salesmen. Pleats will draw attention to the one area where you don’t want attention- your midsection.
2. Never, ever, ever wear white. Whenever I see a large-waisted man wearing white, I immediately have a craving for marshmallows.
3. Don’t go baggy. Baggy clothing won’t fool anyone or hide anything. Ideally, your goal is to create the illusion of width at the shoulders and narrowness in the waist, while maximizing your height. Baggy clothes will make it impossible to create this illusion.
4. Avoid stripes. We all know that large-waisted folks should avoid horizontal strips since it creates the illusion of additional width. My theory is to avoid stripes altogether, because a man wearing vertical strips just gives off the impression of a fat man trying to outsmart other people. In fact, avoid prints and stripes altogether and stick with solid colors.
5. Embrace black. Everyone knows that black is a slimming color. Don’t be afraid to wear it.
6. Posture. Excellent posture is like instantly shedding 20 pounds without doing any work. Good posture compensates for a lot of physical shortcomings.
7. Wear thick-soled shoes. That extra half-inch in height will make a world of difference.
8. Avoid wide neckties. Much like horizontal stripes, wide ties create the wrong kind of illusion.
9. Accessories. A nice belt, tie, cufflinks, and other accessories will give people something to focus on instead of your waistline.
10. Get some color. Pale skin will make you look softer, rounder, and heavier. As hard as it is to believe, a simple tan will make you look thinner. Why do you think women like tanning beds so much?
There you have it, the 10 commandments of fashion for men with a large waistline. Put all of these rules to good use and your waistline will look inches smaller without having to do any real work.