Hope you enjoy this great brown sugar almond cookie reciepe i got from an old friend i used to have that would always make holiday cookies as christmas gifts, Every year i couldn’t wait till he made these cookies and gave them to me. After years of hounding him for the reciepe, he finally gave it to me. Now i am going to share it with you. Enjoy.
Brown Sugar Almond Cookies
– 1 cup shortening
– 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
– 1 egg
– 1 teaspoon almond extract
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/8 teaspoon salt
– 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
– In a small mixing bowl, cream the shortening, 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
– Shape into 1 inch balls and place them 2 inches apart from each other on a large ungreased baking sheet. Flatten them with the bottom of a medium size glass. Press three almond slices into the center of each.
– Bake at 350° for 10-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing.
These cookies are great for the holidays as well as any time of year. To get creative, sprinkle some white sugar on top of cookies during cooling process.
YIELDS: 3 dozen