When wedding bells ring, you want to make sure that everything goes right. And one of the items that sometimes gets rushed is what to put in your wedding registry. Here are some tips to help you create the right list that will make your guest feel comfortable.
1. Allow for a wide budget range – Some people have more money than others. And no one wants to feel cheap when they give a gift to the couple. You should register items that range as low as $25 and work your way up as high as you wish. You should probably put the majority of your desired items in the $100 to $200 range if your guest make an average salary. A good rule of thumb is to set an average price of a person’s day’s pay.
2. Think about items around the home – Pots and pans and other kitchen items are great because they are not personal items. Avoid bed sheets, pillows and other more personal items that you may end up not liking. Think more of durable hardware than linens.
3. Think about some things you would never buy – A wedding registry is one of the few times you get to ask for almost anything you want and you should consider things you would normally not buy. For instance, you should consider asking for lamps, pictures and other decor. Also consider vases and other elements that will last a long time and become an heirloom.
4. Use Dishes and Silverware As your big ticket item – This is a wedding tradition. If there is anything you should aim high for are the silverware and dishes. These are items that can be passed down from generation to generation. Also, silverware can actually go up in value.
5. Avoid cold electronics and other high tech items – Though you may want a laptop or an iPod, these items may come off as cold and impersonal. And you may end up not getting those items.
Weddings are a once in a lifetime opportunity to begin a new life. With the right planning, it will be a day you will never forget. And with the right wedding registry, it will start off on the right foot.