Meeting the parents of a new boyfriend is never easy. The same goes for new in-laws. But there are some things you can do in order to impress your boyfriend’s parents (or your new in-laws) and make them like you:
– First of all, realize that they might be just as nervous as you.
– Dress to impress, but avoid any very trendy and extreme fashion choices. Choose something classic, clean and a bit toned down. Do not show too much skin!
– Read up on the latest news, so you have something to talk about, and/or can keep up with the discussions if the parents decide to talk about some current events.
– Always keep the mobile off when you meet them.
– Do not drink too much alcohol, that is ALWAYS a bad idea!
– Be prepared, and realize what some common questions in-laws and parents ask are, such as: “How did you meet?” and “”Do you want children?”, and prepare answers for these questions. That way there will be no awkward pauses!
– Do not swear!
– Avoid topics such as: your exes, bikini waxing horror stories, anything related to tattoos.
– Be positive and do not complain.
If all else fails, you might also want to consider watching the movie “Meet the Parents”. This will make you feel better for sure!