The game of cricket, which is considered the religion of the subcontinent, would witness the summit clash. The clash between the top two test teams of the world. India have one just a single test in South Africa when they toured South Africa last time in 2006 thanks to the burst by Sreesanth. Indians will look to rewrite the history books by winning their first ever test series in South Africa.
Year – Played@ – Matches – Won – Lost – Tied – SR
1992 – SA – 4- 0- 1- 3- SA
1996 -IND -3 -2- 1- 0 -IND
1996 -SA- 3- 0- 2- 1-SA
2000- IND- 2- 0- 1- 1- SA
2001 -SA- 2- 0- 1- 1- SA
2004- IND- 2- 1- 0- 1-IND
2006- SA- 3- 1- 2- 0- SA
2008- IND- 3- 1- 1- 1- DR
2010- IND- 2- 1- 1- 0- DR
SR – Series Result Ind-India SA-South Africa DR-Draw
Total Matches : 24
Ind Won : 6
Ind Lost : 11
Challenges before the Indian team
The Indian team when they tour the proteas will have a whole lot of challenges to face
- Adjusting to the climatic conditions of southern part of the African continent will be one of the greatest challenges for the Indian team.
- The injury scare of some of its frontline bowlers and batsmen with the Newzealand series extending till the 10th of December, 2010.
- The pitches which assist swing and pace bowling.
- Jaques Kallis, the best alrounder presently available in the world of cricket. He becomes more dangerous because of the exposure to Indian bowling in IPL.
- Styn, one of the most dreaded bowler for the proteas.
- The tight schedule and the drain-out of the Indian team.
- There is no warm-up match
- The bowling-form of Harbajan Singh.
Some of the positives to balance the challenges are seen in the present scenario
- All senior players including Sachin, Shewag, Dhoni, Dravid, VVS, Zaheer and Harbajan are rested before the tour.
- All the rested players and some young players like Raina and the coach Gary Kirsten would reach South Africa ahead of the series to get acquainted with the climate and the pitches.
- The form of Zaheer and Shewag along with Dravid, VVS and Sachin would be encouraging.
16, Dec – 1st Test – SuperSportPark, Cenurion
26, Dec – 2nd Test – Kingsmead, Durban
2, Jan – 3rd Test – Newlands, Cape Town
9, Jan – T20 – Moses Mabhida , Durban
12, Jan – 1st ODI – Kingsmead, Durban
15, Jan – 2nd ODI – The Wanderers, Johannesburg
18, Jan – 3rd ODI – Newlands, Capetown
21, Jan – 4th ODI – St.George’s Park, Port Elizabeth
23, Jan – 5th ODI – SuperSportPark, Centurion
Altogether, the series ahead would be a promising game of cricket which would definitely heal the wounds created by fixing-controversy.