Are you afraid of getting a heart Attack? May be probably. But, you need not be. Here, I try to give you some simple but effective guidelines to prevent a Heart Attack. Follow them and live long with a healthy heart.
1. Diet: Be strict on your diet. Have a Balanced diet. Never over eat. Turn to vegetarianism if possible. But, if you are a staunch carnivore, take only lean meat. Have plenty of green, leafy vegetables and brightly colored fruits and vegetables like Tomatoes, Apples, Oranges, Grapes and the like which are rich in fiber, antioxidants and vitamins. If you take eggs, have only the” white”. Take cereals like black gram, Oatmeal etc. which are rich in soluble fiber. Drink at least 8 glasses of water/day. Eat fish which contain Omega3 and 6 Fatty Acids (eg.Salmon). This will help reduce your Cholesterol level. If you consume oils, take only vegetable oils which contain unsaturated Fatty Acids (Safflower oil, Sunflower oil, Groundnut oil, Olive oil, rice bran oil etc.).
2. Exercise Regularly: Aerobic exercises, walking, jogging and swimming are excellent means to keep your heart healthy and increase the HDL Cholesterol (Good Cholesterol which is heart-friendly).Exercise also makes your blood circulation smooth and regular and helps intake of more air by the lungs.
3. Habits/Life style and Attitudes: You should quit smoking if you want to keep your system, particularly, your heart, healthy. If you have Type- A personality (obsessive, exacting and strict), you should try to become calm and composed. Take life as it comes. Stress, negative emotions like anger, jealousy have a negative impact on your heart as they help release prostaglandins and hormones which are not heart-friendly. Practice of Yoga will of help, as it helps your mind and body to be calm and cool.
4. Supplements: There is no harm in taking health supplements discriminately and in moderation. Take supplements containing antioxidants like Beta-carotene, Lycopene, Selenium, Co-enzymeQ10, Flavanoids, Polyphenols etc. (You can have green tea as a source of polyphenols). You can also have some extra dose of Vitamin C and E though their efficacy in reducing Heart Attacks has not been conclusively established!
5. Medicines: If either the level of total cholesterol in your blood is more than 200mg/dL or your HDL level is less than 55 mg/dL, you can try medicines like Statins (Simvastatin, Lovastatin, Atorvastatin, Rozuvastatin-all generic names), Nicotinic Acid, Fibric Acid Derivatives( Fibrates-Clofibrate, Gemfibrosil)
It may not be difficult for you to keep young and healthy hearts by following the above pieces of advice! So, try and live long heartily!!!!