Writing a successful and popular blog requires, essentially, two important elements. First, a successful and popular blog has to have good content. Second, a successful and popular blog has to have effective marketing. Combining those two elements are integral to your blog’s success.
Let’s take a look, first, at the idea of good content. Why is good content important? Good content is the reason that readers stay on your blog, the reason that they subscribe to your blog, the reason they keep coming back to your blog, the reason they recommend your blog to others. Good content inspires confidence in your readers.
But, what is good content? Good content is:
* Well written. Good content observes all of the rules of the language, in terms of grammar, spelling and formatting. It is also written it its own voice and style, which can set your blog apart from other blogs.
* Relevant. Good content relates to a felt need. People come to your blog because they want to be educated or informed about something, or because they want to hear your opinion on a topic. Your content has to deal with issues that people want to read about for your blog to be successful and popular.
* Timeless. Good content relates to issues that will be as relevant in ten years as they are today. This timelessness brings in new readers to your blog months or years after you originally write the content.
Good content, however, is only part of having a successful and popular blog. You can write the best content in the blogosphere, but if no one visits your blog, you won’t be successful or popular. To write a successful and popular blog, you have to add effective blog marketing to the mix.
What is effective blog marketing? While there are many methods of marketing your blog, here are some of the most common:
* Social networking tools. Bookmarking sites like StumbleUpon and Digg are extremely popular ways to market your blog in order to make it popular and successful.
* Commenting on other blogs. Commenting on related blogs can help expose you to that blog’s author as well as his readers. Commenting on other blogs in such a way that you add significant value to the discussion on that blog, rather than just posting a one-line comment, can help your own blog to become more popular and successful.
* Search Engine Optimization. SEO is the process of making your blog more “friendly” to search engines so that people can more easily find your blog.
There are other factors that go into having a successful and popular blog. To some degree, even luck plays a part. Still, if you work hard at producing good content and marketing your blog, you are almost guaranteed to experience some degree of success and popularity.