Prep: 15 min.
Cook: 50 min.
* 1 3- to 3-1/2-pound broiler-fryer chicken, cut-up
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 28-ounce can whole Italian-style tomatoes, cut up
* 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (4 cups)
* 1 medium onion, sliced (1/2 cup)
* 1/2 cup halved pitted ripe olives
* 1/2 cup dry red wine
* 2 tablespoons capers (optional)
* 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
* 2 teaspoons snipped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon cold water
* 2 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Remove skin from chicken. In a large plastic bag combine flour, salt, and ground red pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time; shake to coat. In a 4-quart Dutch oven heat oil. Cook chicken in hot oil over medium heat about 10 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned, turning to brown evenly.
2. Add undrained tomatoes, potatoes, onion, olives, wine, capers (if using), dried basil and dried oregano (if using), and garlic to Dutch oven. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 35 to 45 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Remove chicken to a serving dish; cover and keep warm.
3. In a small bowl combine the water and cornstarch; add to potato mixture in Dutch oven. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in fresh basil and oregano (if using). Pour thickened mixture over chicken in dish. If desired, garnish with a sprig of fresh basil or oregano. Makes 6 servings.