Simple syrup recipe ingredients
-1 cup sugar: For simple syrup, it is best to use granulated sugar.
-1 cup water
1. In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup water until it is just starting to boil.
2. Add 1 cup sugar and stir the mixture until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Heat sugar and water mixture until it starts to boil again.
4. Turn down heat to medium, place cover on saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir the simple syrup mixture periodically to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
5. Take saucepan off the stovetop and allow the simple syrup mixture to cool. At this point, your simple syrup is made, but needs to cool before you can use it. Make sure your simple syrup is out of the way—cleaning up a simple syrup spill can be messy, and spilling hot simple syrup on yourself can lead to burns.
6. Place the simple syrup in an airtight container and keep up to a month. Since it only consists of sugar and water, it is important to keep simple syrup in a container that bugs cannot get into.
By following this simple syrup recipe, you should be able to create any number of food items or cocktails that call for simple syrup.