Annoying Phone Calls: How to File a Police Report

Definition of annoying phone calls

Annoying phone calls are defined as calls that are: harassing, ongoing, obscene and constant hang-ups.  It is against the law in most states to make such calls. 

Usually annoying calls come from partners from ex-relationships, telemarketers, pranksters, enemies and kids playing on the phone. 

How to file the Police report

You are a victim where you live and regardless if you know where the calls are coming from, you should file a Police report at your local Police department. 

You can call your local Police department and find out what reporting options are available to you.

You may be able to file the report on-line, over the phone or in person by going to the Police station. Some Police departments may send a Patrol car to your location to take a report.

What you need to file the report  

You will need proper identification to start the report.  You will need to provide the Police with a full and complete account of the calls, what has been said, any suspect information if known, the times the calls are made and the phone number the suspect is calling from.

Why file a report

It is against the law for someone is use a phone to harass and annoy you.  It is also against the law if your number is on the National Do Not Call List but the caller still continues to bother you.  these people located through your telephone company phone tracing system and charged with a crime and brought to justice.

Filing this report is your choice and if you choose not to file a Police report then there are other resources to stop annoying phone calls that you can find on the Internet.


Filing this Police report is a very simple process.   The Police will fill out a report from your account of the calls and collect any evidence such as the phone number and times the calls were made. 

Once you have filed a report, make sure, that you always get your Police report case number and either a receipt that you filed a report or an actual copy of the report for your records.  

Article also posted on Associated Content by Scott Hallock

About Author

Leave A Reply