Fairhaven Massachusetts boasts a large percentage of summer seasonal residents. Its proximity to New Bedford’s large fishing fleet and a smaller one of its own mandates that super fresh seafood is a culinary requirement of the region. Pizza is the number one take out food item. Chinese, Portuguese, Italian, and Thai round out the ethnic restaurants. Cheap eats are always available at the local chains; Burger King, McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Taco Bell, Papa Gino’s, Pizza Hut, Friendly’s, KFC. Good food that’s made with fresh ingredients and pride by people that know your tastes are to be had at excellent prices. Here are Fairhaven’s Top 10 Cheap Eats:
1. Seafood Hut, Inc 2 South Main St, Acushnet 508-993-9355 – Located at the Faihaven and Acushnet town line, Seafood Hut offers all the favorite seafood items you’d expect. Clamcakes, chowder, and fish & chips top the most requested menu items. Prices are subject to market. Call ahead for takeout. On premise picnic tables under a canopy provide the only sit down eating area.
2. Blue Point Restaurant 6 Dayton St, Acushnet 508-995-9600 – Blue Point is a full sevice establishment. Reservations are accepted for 4 or more people. Their entire menu is available for takeout. Seafood is of the freshest quality and portions are large so plan to share. Appetisers, beef, chicken, pasta, sandwiches, and specialty pizzas round out their offerings. There are separate lunch and children’s menus.
3. Sweet Ginger 181 Huttleston Ave, Fairhaven 508-717-0278 – Offering top quality Asian cuisine at very affordable prices, their combination plates are under $8.00. Reservations are accepted. Call for takeout. There is a beautifully maintained salt water fish tank near the counter.
4. Wah May Restaurant 51 Main St, Fairhaven 508-992-8668 – Everyone in Fairhaven that eats Chinese has eaten here. The prices are low, the portions ample, the quality good. Call ahead for takeout.
5. Mike’s 390 Huttleston Ave, Fairhaven 508-996-9810 – When it comes to prime rib, Mike’s is the place to go. Their seafood entrees include single, twin, and triple boiled or baked lobster. Create your own surf & turf from their list of beef and seafood items. Chicken, pork, Italian dinners and specialty pizzas are also available. Most times the lines are long. Pass time in their lounge until your party is called. Lunch specials and children’s plates add to family dine out value.
6. Palace Pizza 67 Huttleston Ave, Fairhaven 508-984-1500 – Palace Pizza by far offers truly great pizzas, subs, and wraps for the money. They use the freshest ingredients and deliver all the way down to West Island.
7. Antonio’s 267 Coggeshall St, New Bedford 508-990-3636 – By far the best place to go for authentic Portuguese cuisine is Antonio’s. The portions are huge but you can request an additional plate for $1 to share a meal. Even a sandwich plate will not leave you wanting for more. Don’t be surpised if you still have enough left over to take home. Their bar also carries a vast assortment of Portuguese wines. Fridays are reserved for specialty seafood offerings.
8. Sivalai Thai Cuisine 130 Sconticut Neck Rd, Fairhaven 508-999-2527 – Thai dining is a new experience in the area. The offerings here are as authentic as possible using local ingredients. It is hard to obtain true Thai ingredients and keep prices low. Call for takeout.
9. Courtyard Restaurant 270 Huttleston Ave, Fairhaven 508-991-7452 – Although not a true diner, it has the feel of a diner. This is the place for inexpensive breakfast and lunch. Prior to going, pick up a copy of The Neighborhood News. There are always 6 coupons on the back cover. Check out the daily specials.
10. Naughty Dawgs 114 huttleston Ave, Faihaven 508-990-0022 – Fast food that isn’t from a chain is what Naughty Dawgs is all about. Steamed dogs and buns with almost every conceivable topping and a nice thick ice cream frappe are the order of the day. You can also get burgers, assorted fries, and soups. It’s a quick stop for an ice cream sundae or cone. Open 11am-9pm 7 days a week.
Resource: Top 10 Cheap Eats Around Fairhaven, Ma