Due to the high incidence of hijackings in certain areas, the government initiated a program using signboards, warning citizens of “hot spots” where hijackings and smash-and-grab mostly occurs.
Modus Operandi used by hijackers:
Most hijackings take place in your driveway in residential areas. Hijackers prefer areas with escape routes. They also take place while you are stationed at any traffic sign or intersection. Hijackers target stationary vehicles next to the road and areas such as garages and parking areas where it is quiet. Another preference is drop off zones i.e. schools. They even pretend to be traffic officers.
How to avoid a hijack situation:
- 80% of hijackings take place in home driveways. Check your driveway and street before you leave or enter your premises. Be on the lookout for suspicious vehicles/persons.
- Always be cautious and aware of surrounding obstructions and shrubbery that may conceal a hijacker.
- At stop streets or traffic lights, leave enough space between your car and the one ahead to allow you to escape.
- If a car has driven into your car and the impact is light, wave to the driver to follow you to somewhere safe to trade information.
- When approaching your vehicle, always have your keys ready but not visible. Be aware of your surroundings and if you do notice any suspicious behaviour, immediately walk away from your vehicle.
- When approaching a red traffic light, slow down so you only reach it when it turns green.
- Once in the car, lock all your doors and only leave your window partially open. Keep any valuables out of sight.
- If you think you are followed, drive to the nearest police station. Do not stop your car for any reason, not even a flat tyre.
- Avoid the hot spots and do not drive late at night or the early hours of the morning when the roads are quiet.
- Drive in the middle lane away from pedestrians where possible.
- If you do fall victim of a car-hijacking, don’t put up a fight. Do exactly as told by the hijackers. Do not reach for your purse or anything. They might think you are reaching for a gun.
- If you are asked to drive the vehicle, follow their instructions and cause a slight accident. This could save your life.