Students can show you their knowledge about the four types of sentences while celebrating halloween at the same time. See the bottom of this article for resources (internet links).
1. Cover a bulletin board with black or brown backing paper. We used brown this year just because we knew we would want brown paper up for November’s display and we thought it would save some work.
2. Choose a border: I used a yellow border that had yellow spider web designs on it which I ordered from the TREND catalog.
3. Staple up fake spider web (which can be purchased at any grocery or dollar store around halloween). Spread it evenly over the board and remove any excess.
4. Make a spider body template from a manila folder for students to trace. Imagine it looking like the head and abdomen of the spider attached together – kind of like two of the sections of a snowman. Make several “bodies” for students to trace, dependin gon the size of your class. This would be a great centers activity. Students can trace the body on black construction paper and cut it out. I made my template about 6 inches long.
5. Also make spider leg templates for students to trace. Each student will need to make 8 of these legs. I made my spider legs about 8 inches long and tapered to a point at one end, and slightly curved. Students can cut out the legs the same way as described above.
6. On each leg students will write a sentence. They will write two declarative sentences, to interrogative sentences, two exclamatory sentences and two imperative sentences. They should write a rough copy first, being careful not to make very long sentences. The sentences should be spider, halloween or fall related. The sentences can then be written on the black paper using gel pens or white crayons. On the back of each sentence-leg, students need to write what kind of sentence they have written on the opposite side. Students glue or tape the sentence-legs onto the spider body..
7. Students now decorate their spider bodies with googly eyes, foam pieces, glitter, etc. to give their spiders some personality.
8. Take a grade fromt he completed spiders if you wish, and then post them to the web covered bulletin board.
Fake Spider Web: http://www.amazon.com/BOS-Halloween-Costumes-Adult-Spider/dp/B000IZVR22/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1234703373&sr=8-1
Paper Spider alternative, using paper plate bodies and pipe cleaner legs: http://www.kidsturncentral.com/holidays/crafts/hcraftd.htm
spider web border: http://www.trendenterprises.com/ProdDetail.cfm