The two-day, alcohol-tobacco free, Street Festival celebrates the richness of our region, while honoring the Latino communities’contributions to San Diego. Featuring KPBS’Cat in the Hat, Columbia Recording artist Frankie J, norteño group Los Rieleros del Norte, nationally syndicated Chicano Cartoonist, Lalo Alcaraz and internationally acclaimed bilingual children’s musician, José-Luis Orozco!
“Fiesta del Sol brings valuable resources and opportunities through our many pavilions ranging from Health & Wellness to Education to Community Action. We hope Fiesta Del Sol can provide San Diegans an outlet toward an authentic connection with your community,”says Geshalem Perez, Fiesta del Sol Co-Chair
WHEN: Saturday, August 14, 2010 and Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:00 am to 7:00 pm both days
WHERE: Historic Barrio Logan -On Logan Avenue from Evans to 26thStreet
WHAT: Over 75,000 fiesta goers, entertainers, vendors, and a vast array of artists from all around the Latino globe are expected. A stretch of historic Barrio Logan will be transformed into a gigantic outdoor restaurant with live performances, and a children’s activity zone.
WHO IS INVITED: Everyone is invited. This is multi-cultural event.
The “Por Nuestras Familias- Todos a Votar”statewide campaign to register eligible Latino voters will kick off its 9-city bus tour in San Diego at Fiesta del Sol. The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) California, California Teachers Association (CTA) and partners’statewide campaign to increase voter turnout and make Latino voices count chose Fiesta del Sol, San Diego as the first stop on its tour.
Activities for all ages include:
- Arts and Culture Pavilion- Sponsored by Barona Casino–hosted by the Centro Cultural de La Raza, featuring the history of this 40 year-old community arts organization, interactive Arts projects, an interactive community mural, ART WALK, and special Guest Lalo Alcaraz, syndicated cartoonist of “La Cucaracha.”
- Children’s Village- hands-on games, crafts and face painting with special guest Cat in the Hat from KPBS’new “Cat in the Hat- He Knows about that”show, and a performance by Jose-Luis Orozco, children’s musician.
- Roger Cázares College scholarship ceremony- Over $5,000 in scholarship funds will be awarded.
- Youth “Get Active”ZoneSoccer clinic, “exploring the outdoors”activities, raffles, and autographs with professional BMX’ers and skateboarders.
- Healthy & Wellness- offer a holistic variety of services and providers. The Health and Wellness pavilion will provide yoga workshops and opportunities for health screenings for the entire family.
- Columbia Recording Artist- Frankie Jwill be performing on Saturday on the Main Stage.
- Los Rieleros del Nortewill be performing on Sunday on the Main Stage.
- Jose-Luis Orozco, internationally acclaimed Bilingual Children’s Musician will be present at the Children’s Village at Fiesta del Sol San Diego.
- Lalo Alcaraz- syndicated Chicano Cartoonist of La Cucaracha will be present both days.
- Two entertainment stages- featuring over 30 local and internationally-known artists ranging from traditional Latino music to soul, reggae and rock en español.
- Monster Energy BMX Demo Team- professional BMXers will tear up the half-pipe and street park all weekend long.
2010 Corporate Sponsors (partial list): Monster Energy, Barona Resort & Casino, Chevrolet, State Farm, Boots, La Costeña, Ford, and over 15 media partners.
Fiesta Del Sol-San Diegois being organized by Justice Overcoming Boundaries–San Diego (J.Ō.B.) a not-for-profit countywide community organization investing in the development of leaders so that they may strengthen their institutions and may address issues that affect them, their families and their communities.