Bitter gourd, Carrot, Mushroom Chicken Soup
50g Dried Mushroom
100g bitter gourd
10g fresh ginger
1 tsp of salt
Pinch of black pepper powder
- Soak the dried mushroom in hot water for 15 minutes to soften it. Rinse it thoroughly again with cold water.
- Cut the bitter gourd into half and remove the internal seeds. Then, cut the bitter gourd into square shape.
- Clean the chicken, remove the skin, and cut it into small pieces.
- Peel the carrot skin and cut it into square pieces.
- Peel the ginger skin and cut it into slices.
- Boil about 3 cups of water in a pot.
- Add in chicken and bitter gourd and boil at medium fire for 5 minutes.
- Pour the chicken and bitter gourd soup into a slow cooker.
- Add in mushroom, carrot and ginger.
- Simmer the soup for 1.5 hour.
- Add in salt and pepper for taste.
And it is ready for serving.
Bitter Gourd – the wonder vegetable that cures !
Bitter gourd is a type of common vegetable available in Asian and African countries. It is also known as ‘Bitter melon’ or ‘Karela’ with green rough, warty skin. As the name suggests, the vegetable is bitter in taste. Well-known as having great medicinal value in native medicines in Asia and Africa, it has been used as appetizing, stomachic, laxative properties, anti-bilious, antidote and antipyretic tonic.
Nutrition Benefits of Eating Bitter Gourd
- Aids in lowering sugar levels in people suffering from diabetes.
- Aids in cancer fighting Bitter gourd
- Aids in constipation relief
- Believe to be effective in the treatment of psoriasis.
- Aids in blood circulation and blood purifier
- Effects in body slimming.
- Prevention and treatment of hypertension.
- Eye complications prevention
- Treating neuritis.
- Treating defective metabolism of carbohydrates.
Nutritional Value of Bitter Gourd
100 grams of bitter gourd comprises of the following nutrients:
- Calcium – 19 mg
- Copper – 0.034 mg
- Dietary Fiber – 3 g
- Dietary Folate Equivalents – 72 mcg
- Folate – 72 mcg
- Food Folate – 5.6 mcg
- Iron – 0.43 mg
- Magnesium – 17 mg
- Manganese – 0.089 mg
- Pantothenic Acid – 0.212 mcg
- Phosphorus – 31 mg
- Potassium – 296 mg
- Protein – 1 g
- Selenium – 0.2 mcg
- Sodium – 5 mg
- Sodium – 5 mg
- Total Carbohydrates – 4 g
- Zinc – 0.8 mg
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Total Fat – 0g
- Saturated Fat – 0g
- Cholesterol – 0 mg
- Folic Acid – 0 mcg
- Sugars – 0 g