The origin of this dish is traced to the heyday of the textile mills in Mumbai. Pav Bhaji is a fast food dish native to Maharashtrians and is popular most in metropolitan areas in India, particularly in the Maharashtrian city of Mumbai and Pune.
Pav in Marathi means bread. Bhaji is a term for curry and vegetable dish. If it is served with butter Pav is high in carbohydrates and fats while bhaji, the vegetable based curry portion is high in carbohydrates.
It is consumed as a snack, between lunch and dinner, particularly by individuals in Western India. It is also available in almost all hotels. In restaurants some more varieties are available including Cheese Pav Bhaji with added cheese on top, Mushroom Pav Bhaji (vegetables not mashed, but cut small pieces cook with masala gravy), Paneer Pav Bhaji with added paneer.
Here I am going to share my simple and easy Pav Bhaji recipe. If anyone tries to make they will love it.
– 2 potato medium size
– 2 carrots peel and chopped
– 1/2 cup green peas
– 1 cup cauliflower florets
– 1 onion paste or chopped onion
– 2 tomato paste or chopped tomato
– 1 tbs ginger paste
– 1 tbs garlic paste
– 2 to 3 tbs pav bhaji masala (Available in any Indian grocery stores)
– 2 tbs lemon juice
– few sev for garnish
– few chopped coriander for garnish
– 1/4 tbs turmeric powder
– salt to taste
– vegetable oil or butter for cooking ( you’re choice to use oil or butter)
1) Peel the potatoes and cut them into half pieces. Wash all the vegetables with water.
2) Cook all the vegetables ( potato, cauliflower, carrot and peas) in a pressure cooker. Mash them coarsely. (* If you are using frozen peas then no need to pressure cook the peas).
3) Heat oil or butter in a kadhai or frying pan, add ginger-garlic paste, onion paste and fry till golden brown over medium heat..
4) Then add tomato paste, salt, turmeric powder and stir again for few minutes.
5) Add pav bhaji masala and stir continuously for 2 to 3 minutes.
6) Transfer the boiled vegetables, half cup water and on high heat mix and mash them for 5 minutes and add lemon juice.
7) Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, onions and sev.
8) Serve hot pav bhaji and apply butter on bread slices, roast and serve together.