Gram flour is a flour made from ground chickpeas, it is also known as chana dal. It is also known as chickpea flour, garbanzo flour or besan in Bengali. Used in many countries, it is a staple ingredient in Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi Cuisines.
Gram flour contains a high proportion of carbohydrates. It is a staple ingredients in Indian, Pakistani and Bengaladeshi Cuisines.
In other parts of South and Southeast Asia the flour is used to make pakoras, bonda, onion bhajis and Burmese tofu. Gram flour contains high proportion of carbohydrates. In comparison to other flours. it has a relatively high proportion of protein.
In French Cuisine, it is used to make Socca and in Italian Cuisine, the gram flour is used to make Farinata. Here I am going to share my easy and quickest Onion pakoras recipe. It is simply delicious.
– 1 cup besan flour (gram flour or chickpea flour)
– 1 chopped onion
– 1 tbs ginger paste
– 1 tbs garlic paste
– 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
– 2 chopped green chillies
– 1/4 tbs azwain (optional)
– water (to make smooth batter)
– salt to taste
– oil for frying
1) In a boil add besan, ginger-garlic paste, chopped onion, chopped green chillies, salt, azwain and turmeric powder.
2) Add little water to make a thick batter and mix well.
3) Make small balls and fry them in the oil to make pakora’s.
4) Deep fry them till they turn in golden color and crispy. Take them out on a paper towel and keep them aside.
5) Serve hot onion pakora’s with tea or coffee.
6) You can serve onion pakora’s as a side dish during the meal lunch or dinner with tomato ketchup.
7) Even it’s a delicious appetizer.