Half the cake is from scratch and the other half is made from a cake mix. This is similar to a pineapple upside down cake as when the cake bakes it inverts itself and comes out of the pan exactly like it went into the pan.
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 32 ounces of ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 small package of chocolate chips (optional)
- Fix the cake mix according to the directions on the box.
- Preheat oven to 350′. Grease and flour a 9×13 baking pan. Pour cake mix batter into baking pan.
- In a large bowl mix the ricotta, eggs, sugar and vanilla together. Fold in chocolate chips if so desired.
- Gently pour the cheese mixture over the cake mix batter in the baking pan. You want to do this gently to form two layers.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour. Cake is done when the cake springs back to the touch. Let cool for 20 minutes. Remove from baking pan and flip cake onto a Tupperware cake taker, platter or cake dish.
- Note that when you put the batter in the pan … the cake was at the bottom and the cheese mixture was at the top.
- Notice now that when you remove the cake from the pan and flip it onto your tray that the cake is at the bottom and the cheese is still at the top.
- Sprinkle a light dusting of powered sugar over the top while the cake is still warm. The sugar will melt and form a light glaze that gives this Italian ricotta cheese cake a glossy look without the sweetness of icing.
- Prepare a tray of cut up fruits and include some drained crushed pineapple unless you have a fresh one handy that has been cubed. Place all the fruits in a tray that you would serve vegetables in for dipping. Allow each guest to pick their own topping for their slice of Italian ricotta cheese cake.
Buy locally at the bakeries surrounding Winona.
Campbell’s Bakery, Jackson, MS, (601) 362-4628
In Business Since 1962; Campbell’s Bakery has been providing the Jackson area with wedding cakes, cakes, pastries, cookies, cupcakes, donuts, tea and coffee for birthdays and parties.
Jody’s Bakery & Catering, Hattiesburg, MS, (601) 545-7593
Retail bakery and catering service ready for any occasion such as birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, special occasions and cakes of all kinds. They have cookies, pies, sandwiches and a variety of party foods.