Digging though all the recipes in the recipe box to see how many eggs are needed for each main dish.That is something that is no longer a worry. Keep the amount of eggs that you would normally cook for a week or two in the refrigerator. Freezing fresh eggs is safe and economical. They were just purchased for a song; that is why you put the two or three extra egg crate cartons in your cart. The eggs will not become freeze dried eggs at all.
Preparations for freezing fresh eggs:
- Crack open the eggs.
- Pierce the yolks with a fork.
- Gently mix the yolk into the egg whites.
- For eggs that will be used in baking or dessert items do the following:
- Add 1 tablespoon of sugar to each cup of raw eggs that you freeze. If the eggs are frozen in smaller quantities divide the sugar accordingly.
- For eggs that will be used in main dishes or savory side dishes do the following:
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt for every cup of raw eggs that you freeze. And as stated above, if the eggs are frozen in smaller quantities divide the salt accordingly here too.
- Never freeze a raw egg in its shell. The shells can expand in colder temperatures causing them to crack. If the shell cracks before the eggs are thoroughly frozen there will be egg shells in the eggs. This is something everyone tries to avoid at all times.
- Always use air tight containers to store the raw egg mixture in that you set aside to freeze.
- Try and store the eggs in 1 cup increments and attach a label as to how many eggs are in that particular container.
- Smaller containers work well too. Example: If you only want to use the eggs for baking, store three eggs in each container. That is the usual amount added to most cake mix packages. Or, you can store two in each small container if they are being used for one person or small meals. The size of the container and the amount of eggs to be frozen is entirely up to you.
- Heavy freezer bags or vacuum sealer bags are good to use as well.
- Save the cracked egg shells in a plastic bag. A store bag will do just fine. Then crush the shells. Place the crushed pieces in with your soil around your plants. This will give them extra nutrients and help them grow better.
- Another way you can use the egg shells is to place them rounded side down back into the egg crate carton. Make sure that each shell half has a small puncture in the bottom. This will allow water to escape if too much is used. Now use the egg shells as a base to plant seeds for your garden. Place some soil along with the seeds and water as you would to start any seedling. Then when planting time comes along remove the seedling and place it in your Winona garden. Before covering the hole up with dirt also include the egg shell but make sure you crush it before covering it over with soil.
- Frozen fresh eggs will freeze well up to 1 year. Do not keep them longer.
- The salt and sugar additives act with the raw eggs when frozen to prevent the eggs from becoming gelatinous.