The summer of 2010 has been a great year for zucchini so finding ways to use this healthy but plentiful vegetable has been a challenge. Baking for diabetics can also be a challenge so reducing the sugar in any recipe is helpful and appreciated. You can make this chocolate zucchini cake sugar free but for most, it just won’t be sweet enough. Simply eliminating ½ of the sugar can satisfy the sweetest tooth and adding the zucchini will make it healthier and moist.
- • 2 1/2 cups regular all-purpose flour, unsifted
- • 1/2 cup cocoa
- • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- • 1 tsp salt
- • 1 tsp cinnamon
- • 3/4 cup margarine soften
- • 1-cup sugar substitute like Stevia in the raw or Baking Splenda
- • 1-cup sugar
- • 3 eggs
- • 2 tsp vanilla
- • 2 cups shredded zucchini
- • 1/2 cup milk
- • 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease your Bundt pan or tube pan.
2. With a mixer, beat the margarine, sugars, vanilla and cream cheese until smooth.
3. Add in the eggs one at a time and blend
4. Mix in cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and shredded zucchini. Alternating, add flour and milk into your mixture until blended.
5. Pour the batter into a tube pan or Bundt pan. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes; turn out on wire rack to cool thoroughly.
Tip: If your sugar lover needs a little more, drizzle a glaze over it.