Here is a twist that you can try. This is a little bit similar to potatoes au gratin. Except here there are no potatoes and with a mixture of added flavors your boring string beans will take on a new life to savor.
- 4 cups of fresh string beans
- 2 cups of chopped Virginia ham
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 clove of garlic chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350′. Then in a large frying pan add about an inch of water. Heat the water till it boils. Snip the ends off the string beans and cut in half.
- Add the string beans to the boiling water. Cover frying pan and cook beans for about 8 minutes or till they are tender.
- In a separate frying pan melt the butter slowly. Then add the chopped garlic and onion and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Then add the string beans, ham, mayo and sour cream. Stir until all the beans are lightly coated. Cook an additional 5 minutes. Then transfer the entire mixture into a baking pan.
- Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Now remove the cover and sprinkle with the paprika and cover the top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place baking pan back in the oven and cook for about 5 more minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Any meat cubed or shredded can be substituted.
- Use caution and oven mitts when removing the pan from the oven.