Since cream cheese is not an aged cheese emulsifiers are added to extend its shelf life. Sold in tubs or blocks wrapped in foil to seal in freshness. Once the package is opened it should be consumed within a week and always kept refrigerated.
Cream cheese has a soft and creamy texture. A dairy product widely consumed by Americans. It is typically used as a spread on bagels, crackers and breads. The more wide spread it became the more cream cheese was incorporated into appetizers, cakes, mashed potatoes, cookies, pancakes and icings.
- Cream cheese (12 ounces)
- 2 ½ cups of pancake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups of milk
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- Unwrap the cream cheese and place on a cookie sheet or shallow metal pan. Allow the cream cheese to chill for a few hours in the freezer.
- After cream cheese is thoroughly chilled cut it up into small cubes and set aside on the tray.
- In a large bowl combine the cracker crumbs, eggs, sugar, pancake mix and milk. Mix until ingredients become blended into a smooth batter.
- Then, stir in cream cheese cubes gently so that they are covered in the batter. The batter should be lumpy.
- Heat a griddle pan until hot. Lower the flame on the pan to a medium heat setting.
- Spray pan with Pam or your favorite cooking spray. Butter can also be used if you choose to coat the pan with as well.
- Pour batter onto hot griddle to form pancakes.
- Once the batter starts to bubble on the top it is time to flip the pancakes.
- Flip the pancakes and remember not to press down on them once they are turned.
- After the second side is cooked, place pancakes on individual plates or a large serving platter.
- When it is time for the next batch of pancakes remember to spray the griddle pan again so they won’t stick.
Tips and Suggestions:
- Do not press pancakes once flipped. They tend to lose their fluffiness and can result in a very heavy pancake.
- Add maple syrup to sweeten the meal.
- Fruit preserves are also good to top this breakfast dish.
- Fresh cut up fruit can make these pancakes appealing to the eye too.