Whether you are a skilled, crafty, decorator extraordinaire, or you wonder how you color-coordinate your clothes daily, a decorative pillow is an easy craft project. But if you are going to rest your head on it, support your lower back with it, snuggle with it, or, well… touch it at all, shouldn’t it be soft? Shouldn’t you treat yourself to a gentle, lenient, cushioning form of decor? Well, if extra soft is what you’re after, then the ideal pillow forms for you are the 10/90 Decorative Forms by DOWNLITE . Made from a soft blend of 90% white goose feathers and 10% white goose down, and with a nice “medium density,” they are the ideal choice for soft decorative pillow projects. They are also conveniently available in different shapes, including rectangular, square, and circular. But, for this simple project, you’ll want to choose a rectangular or square pillow form.
Here is the step-by-step process for creating a (very soft) pillow:
1. Decide on the size of your pillow, based on the pillow form dimensions available to you.
2. Once you know your dimensions, add one inch to your length and width.
3. Choose your fabric, and then, using those measurements, measure it, and cut it into two pieces.
4. Put the two pieces of fabric together, with the ‘good’ or ‘right sides’ facing each other, and make sure the edges are aligned.
5. Leaving about 1/4 – 1/2 inch between the seam and the edges, sew three sides of the fabric together.
6. Flip the fabric, so it’s right-side-out. Use a knife (or other sharp, pointy object, such as the scissors, a letter opener, the end of a pen, etc.) to push out the corners.
7. Insert your pillow form.
8. Fold the edges of the remaining side inward toward each other, and sew them together.
Voila! You now have a soft pillow to enjoy. And not only is it soft – it’s also durable. Those pillow forms are created with a 500 thread-count that is leak-proof. They use a patented two-layer fabric system called SoftPlus® , as well. (And if you’re really looking to flex your creative muscle and create many decorative throw and sleeping pillows, DOWNLITE sells wholesale pillow forms .) Since they are superior to most other craft store pillow forms, using them for your pillow project will top off the fun and satisfaction with a high-quality end result.