Why do Feet Smell?
Most of us have friends or relatives who can’t just kick off their shoes because people in the room mysteriously disappear. Suffering from smelly feet can be socially isolating problem. The feet and hands contain more sweat glands than any other parts of the body. Studies show that each foot can produce more than a pint of sweat. Sweat doesn’t have a distinctive smell of its own since it is just purely salt and water. When feet sweat bacteria are attracted towards the sweat of the feet and start feeding on them. When this perspiration is left confined or unwashed, bacteria of the skin attack it and produce a bad odor. Ignoring smelly feet is not only embarrassing but can be physically uncomfortable as well.
Generally, feet smell for two reasons:Shoe Wear and Sweating of the Feet.
By following some simple tips and techniques, smelly feet can be controlled.
1) Maintain good hygiene: Washing your feet daily using antibacterial soap. It is very important to dry your feet completely. Extra care can be done by dusting your feet with anti-perspirant foot powder or cornstarch, foot spray or lotion that are designed to combat foot odor.
2) Wear clean and dry socks. Cotton fabric socks are made of absorbent material that helps in absorbing fluid produced before bacteria attack them. Make sure you change your socks everyday.
3) Check for infections between toes and bottoms of your feet. Any redness, itchiness, fungal infection, dry flaking skin, get medications right away.
4) Wear shoes that are made of materials that let your feet breathe. Do not wear same shoes everyday. Let your shoes breath for at least 24 hours to remove the smell.
5) Athlete’s foot is common associate of sweaty feet. Make your toenails clean.
If sweating is excessive and foot odor is very severe, a form of electrolysis can help control/reduce the sweating of the feet. Patients are advice to fully understand this surgery before undergoing this procedure.
Various homes remedies are posted all over the internet to cure stinky feet. All precautionary measures should be exercise before following the instructions especially if you are allergic to the products mentioned.