This divinity is very light and creamy. It has a very delicate sweet flavor. It will store well for a couple of weeks in an airtight container. This recipe will make 6 dozen candies.
2 1/2 cups of sugar
1 cup of water
1/2 cup of light corn syrup
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup of chopped pecans
10 maraschino, cut them into small pieces
1. Combine the sugar, water, and corn syrup in a two quart sauicepan. Cook over medium heat, stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
2. Continue to cook without stirring, a candy thermometer should reach 260 degrees F. If you do not have a cany thermometer you can test the candy by dropping a little drop of the mix into cold water, if it forms a little ball then it is ready.
3. Beat egg whites in a small bowl until it forms a stiff peaks forms.
4. Continue to beat egg white while pouring the hot syrup slowly into thje egg white blending well.
5. Add vanilla and beat until mixture holds shape. This will take a few minutes.
6. Add nuts and cherries.
7. Quickly drop mixture from a buttered spoon onto waxed paper. Let the candy dry for three hours. They are ready to serve and eat. They may be stored in an airtight container for a couple of weeks.