Gingerbread Victorian Valentines
- 2 1/2 cups unsifted flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 egg (large)
1.In a bowl, sift flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt together.
2. Blend margarine and brown sugar until smooth afther that pour dark corn syrup and put egg. Beat it all well.
3. Add dry ingredients, about one-third at a time, mixing until smooth after each addition.
4. Chill dough one hour.
5. Roll out half of dough on lightly floured surface to one-quarter-inch thickness. (Reserve other half for decorations or for a second batch of cookies.)
6. Using heart-shaped cookie cutter, press out cookie shapes or use knife to cut around a pattern.
7. Place hearts on cookie sheet.
8. Decorate as desired.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes until change color to golden.
10. Remove and place on wire racks to cool.
11. Store in covered container.