We are all aware of the term Search engine optimization(SEO). For those who are not here is the definition: Search Engine Optimization is a process to bring traffic to a particular website or web page through unpaid search in major search engine (Google, Yahoo, MSN etc). I hope now you know what is SEO.
SEO is a kind of internet marketing, the main focus is what people search for and what are the search words used by them. You need to make certain changes to your website basic HTML code ( Don’t be afraid these are easy).
Some of the methods that you can follow for SEO are given below:
- Get your site indexed: This is the first thing you should do. Submit your site to all the major search engines such as Google, Yahoo, MSN. Google provide this service free of cost whereas Yahoo charge a fee ( but ensures that your site is listed). But it do not gurantee TRAFFIC !!!!!!
- Crawling practices: Your site is crawled by search engine spiders. If you want some of your data not to be crawled then you can edit it using ROBOT file.
- Link Building: Search engine search your site for total number of incoming and outgoing links. A site having large number of links is probably ranked higher.
- Quality of link: The number of links to your site do not entail you to high ranking. Now a days search engine are looking for quality of links.
Consider that you have a site related to “Thai Food”, and then a link with a software company is of no use. Instead if you have a link with site like “Top 100 cooking recepies” that will be considered as a quality link.
- Changing your Website code: You need to perform some changes to your HTML code also. The key areas are;
- Title tag
- Meta Description
- Meta Keywords
You can find how to change and guidelines to change html code at;
- Content : “Content is King”. You need to know that all the SEO techniques are useless if you do not have good content. You may get traffic but there will be no useful customer conversion. Some guidelines to be followed for content writing are:
- Original Content
- Large content (Search engine specially google love sites with large amount of content)
- Relevant & to the point
- Useful information( describe it briefly)
- Keep writing new content & write with passion
These are some of the techniques that you can use for SEO but remember one thing that site traffic is not built overnight. You need to put continuous effort