Grapefruit oil is extracted from Citrus paradisi (also known as Citrus racemosa and C. maxima var. racemosa) from the Rutaceae family and is also known as shaddock.
A medium sized tree with yellow/ pink fruit. Oil is a yellow to green in colour with a fresh citrus aroma and a watery viscosity. This oil is classed as “sunny” oil. Like all citrus oils, grapefruit oil should be used within six month of purchase.
Origin of oil
Originally from Asia, it is now cultivated in the USA, Braziland Israel. Grapefruit is picked from a glossy-leaved tree, about 10 meters (30 feet) high, with white flowers and large, pale yellow fruit. The oil glands are imbedded deep within the peel and yield a small amount of essential oil.
Grapefruit oil is extracted from the fresh peel by cold compression and yields 0.5 – 1 %.
The main chemical components are a-pinene, sabinene, myrcene, limonene, geraniol, linalool, citronellal, decyl acetate, neryl acetate and terpinen-4-ol.
Grapefruit oil is non-toxic, non-irritant, non-sensitizing and although listed as non-phototoxic, it can irritate the skin if exposed to strong sunlight immediately after the treatment.
Effects on body
Some of the therapeutic properties of grapefruit oil are
- antidepressant – has an uplifting effect on mood and helps with stress and depression. ,
- diuretic and de-toxifying – It has a very positive effect on obesity. Helps to remove excess water from the body and is therefore great for treating cellulite.
- lymphatic stimulant – It combats muscle fatigue and stiffness and clears the body of toxins.
- tonic and
- anti-infectious – It has a high vitamin C content and is therefore valuable to the immune system. It helps protect against colds and flu.
- Clear congested oily skin – assists with acne, toning the skin and tissues
- Promotes hair growth and hair care
How to use
Burners and vaporizers
In vapor therapy grapefruit oil can be used for hangovers, headaches, over indulgence, mental exhaustion and depression.
Blended massage oil or in the bath
Grapefruit oil can be used in a blended massage oil, or may be diluted in the bath to assist with cellulite, colds and flu, lack of energy, jet lag, muscle fatigue, overweight, headaches, moodiness and mental and physical tiredness.
Lotions, creams and washes
Used in a base cream, lotion or as a wash, grapefruit oil can help to clear a greasy, congested and acne skin, while also helping the tissue get rid of cellulite and drain any excess retained water.
Blends well with
Although most essential oils blend well together, grapefruit essential oil blends particularly well with bergamot, lavender, geranium, palmarosaand frankincense.