Image via Wikipshedia
For those reading this who don’t come from Scotland, you may not even know what tablet is. Let me assure you it is the most melt-in-your-mouth sweet you could ever taste and highly popular in Scotland. Normally it is sold in confectionery shops in rectangular shaped bars, covered with clear wrap, so you can see the colour of the tablet. The colour of the tablet can vary from pale gold to an almost pale brown shade and it depends how long you cook it for. Everyone has their own preference, hence the clear wrap.
Over the years tablet has evolved to include many added flavours such as vanilla, almond and others but the original butter tablet remains the hot favourite. If made properly it literally melts in your mouth.
2lbs of Castor sugar(you can also use other kinds of sugar but they will take longer to dissolve completely)
4 oz of butter
1/4 pint of water
1/4 pint of milk
one large tin of condensed milk
1 teaspoonful of vanilla or almond essence or any other flavour you fancy trying -OPTIONAL
- Put the sugar, butter, water and milk together into a saucepan and heat on a very low heat, stirring gently until everything is mixed and until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes without stirring
- Stir in the condensed milk and then boil for a further 10 minutes without stirring
- Remove from the heat and add essence if you desire
- Beat for at least one minute until it starts to solidify a little
- Pour into a buttered shallow tin or dish and mark into squares
- When it has cooled down put it into the fridge – it will take a couple of hours to set properly
- Cut when cold
ENJOY! Your friends will love you!